Total Pageviews

Saturday 16 March 2013

My Gaming Vault - Tomb Raider 2013 Review

One of my long term passions has been computer gaming and graphics. I have a degree in Games and Multimedia Technologies. 

I have been meaning to make this blog since I got aliens and colonial marines. However as I was waiting for my mate to get hold of the game, which proved very hard at release date. Although the game didn't have the best review and ratings it was still selling out fast.

This blog topic 'My Gaming Vault' is going to feature reviews written by me detailing my experience of playing the game, what I liked about it, what I didn't like about it and overall rating.

 
Game Trailer 

Tuesday morning, 5th of March 2013, the official launch day of Tomb Raider 2013. I had per-ordered months ago from Games.co.uk and wake to a large sealed box I could bare contain my excitement. 
LARA CROFT OVER THE AGES
I have been a big fan and follower of the Tomb Raider franchise. I personally own every tomb raider game since the very first game released on the PlayStation 1 console. 


When I purchase games I always get the collectors/special editions. I like to collect all the extras and memorabilia. The collectors edition was refereed to the survival kit and the fact it came with a two-sided poster with one of the sides featuring a map definitely reinforces the title. 

It only took me a few days to complete the game but I have been super procrastinating and this is my first post this week. Not good I know.

Game Genre: Action-Platform Adventure
 
Background Story

"Tomb Raider explores the intense and gritty origin story of Lara Croft and her ascent from a frightened young woman to a hardened survivor. Armed only with raw instincts and the ability to push beyond the limits of human endurance, Lara must fight to unravel the dark history of a forgotten island to escape its relentless hold".Quoted from http://www.tombraider.com/

Gameplay

- Single Player

Single player mode is where all the action and fun is at. The cut-scenes are amazing and engaging. Controlling Lara Croft felt very fluid and barely any restrictions. However controlling the camera rotation around Lara isn't as accurate from the previous games where you could swing the camera around and close up to Lara's face.

The gun battles during the game only get better as you progress throughout the game. The next comment I am going to make is a SPOILER so if you haven't played the game don't read whats next; The last boss battle Lara is fighting with one gun and it cuts into a interactive cut-scene where you pick up the enemy gun and then you feel the true might of Lara Croft dual wielding (which you get to control tapping the left and right trigger keys) and it feels so awesome as if you feeling Lara awaken to her future greatness. 

I loved how the customization and unlocking upgrade progressions for your weapons work in the game. Instead of just getting faster and higher round guns as you progress you upgrade your existing weapons focusing on the weapons you enjoy using most. Also I loved the Bow its so multipurpose after using it for up close stealth kills you feel as if you want to book lessons to go learn how to use a bow. 

- MultiPlayer

The fact that they introduce a new concept to the game was great however its limited and everything feels to squeezed towards Lara. (feels like your free running world is limited). That being said their are some interesting multiplayer game style options options. However in the end it all just involves you running around shooting everything.

Graphics

The graphics are truly amazing so special thanks to the graphics designers and development team that worked so hard on the game creating such lush and immersive environment. 

I did come across two glitches which I had taken a photo of one


When this happened I carried on walking and near the end I actually fell though the floor and died,

The other glitch happened when I looked up at the sky trying to killing birds one of the birds got stock in the air, which actually happens a lot but only in one map area of the game so I think the geometry is off slightly but depending where your looking as it seems everything reacts to Lara's perspective.   

Dialog

All the elements of this game really keeps you engaged and entertained. Any time you approach a set of enemies they would be having a conversation, which really added to the realism of the game.

When you collect items like documents, which is narrated I found myself listening intently. I found myself wanting to know more and more about the back story of the game rather then just speeding around, jumping up and down shooting everything.  

What I liked

Besides the multiplayer part of the game which I talk about below I loved everything else in the game.

Although the game is very linear the direction was clear and it keeps you fully entertained and engaged and even after you have finished it anything you left undone you find yourself replaying to get everything collected and clear. 

What I didn't like

No Croft Manor? What craziness is this? I know any die hard fan of tomb raider always loved trolling around Lara Croft's manor and solving puzzles, finding hidden rooms, making her workout, dive into her swimming pool and getting Lara all wet, pun intended. Entering the manor used to be the very first thing would do when starting the game. 

Now I know this game is a prequel but adding in a bonus feature where you could enter the manor would have been very cool. Who knows maybe they will bring out a DLC? Here's hoping.  

The tombs you raid aren't challenging enough. The previous games puzzles left you dazed for long periods of time, days even. However everything in this game is to easy. 

Multiplayer is only fun for a couple of games as its different experience not really done before for tomb raider games. However after a few games your bored. It would have been better if they did a multilayer mode for single player. 

My Rating

I give the game a 8 out of 10, multiplayer and the easy tomb raids brought it down for me but everything else was awesome. Scoring a 10 in my book is extremely hard so the fact I rate it an 8 is extremely impressive. 
  
Stay Brilliant, Stay Beautiful, Terry Masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment